CrossFit Health Benefits-Dangers-Injuries
Benefits of CrossFit vs Gym
There is little research on the benefits and risks of the high-intensity crossfit training and how effectively crossfit works to increase physical fitness and other health-related consequences.
In addition to having a positive impact on participants’ body composition, strength, flexibility, power, and balance, as well as their BMI, fat mass, and waist circumference, CrossFit training has been shown to be effective for the improvement of several physical fitness parameters, including improved endurance, increased maximal aerobic capacity. CrossFit exercise has been shown to have good psychological and social consequences in addition to its beneficial effects on the body. CrossFit training has been demonstrated to positively impact motivational variables and the sense of camaraderie, among other things. (1)
5 top benefits of these intense trainings are:
- Fat Burning Effects: The use of high intensity exercises to shed pounds has gained a lot of popularity. It has been demonstrated that a session has excellent after burn benefits, meaning that your body continues to burn calories long after you stop the workout. It also takes less time than a weight training regimen.
- Muscle Growth: CrossFit is meant to help you grow useful, lean muscle, not big muscles. It will give you a lean, muscular physique and has many advantages to assist you get there.
- Cardiovascular Benefits: CrossFit workouts are intense, which means that they increase target heart rate and guarantee improved oxygen circulation throughout the body. Blood pressure, heart health, and respiration all benefit from CrossFit.
- Increase Endurance: CrossFit improves respiratory and cardiovascular endurance. This combo enables you to gradually build up your stamina and endurance. In some sports, like cycling, muscle endurance is very crucial. As a result, CrossFit is well-liked by endurance athletes as well as people who enjoy fitness in general.
- Increase Mobility: CrossFit workouts include a lot of mobility and flexibility work. If you lack mobility, you won’t be able to do very many gymnastic rings activities. Similar to that, movement is crucial in daily life. Utilizing functional exercises, you can train to become more flexible during workouts while also improving your overall mobility.
Disadvantages of CrossFit
Sports medicine professionals anticipate a rise in injuries due to the high intensity of CrossFit training routines, especially among beginners. injuries from CrossFit are more common than those from conventional weightlifting. According to study, those who follow a CrossFit routine are 1.86 times more likely to seek medical treatment and are 1.3 times more likely to suffer an injury than people who follow a standard weightlifting exercise. (2)
What are the most common CrossFit injuries?
For both male and female athletes, injuries to the shoulders were most frequent (39%), followed by back injuries (36%), knee injuries (15%), elbow injuries (12%), and wrist injuries (11%). (3)
There are less common injuries and diseases in addition to normal and regular injuries. Spinal injuries made up 20.9% of all reported injuries, making it the most common type of injury. The lumbar area of these spinal injuries was the most often affected, accounting for 83.1% of all spine injuries. Surgery was necessary in six patients (6.7%), which is comparable to other high-intensity competitive weightlifters as documented in previous and actual investigations. Physical therapy was the most often prescribed treatment option (40.4%). (4) (5)
CrossFit vs Fitness
CrossFit is a type of functional training that combines multi-joint functional movements with high-intensity activities which is one of the world’s most rapidly expanding high-intensity functional training methods. CrossFit has acquired popularity not only among civilians but also among military, firefighters, and police officers, as CrossFit was originally established for military strength and conditioning training and subsequently expanded among civilians. (6)
CrossFit was created as a fundamental strength and conditioning regimen, . Without requiring specialization, CrossFit seeks to optimize a person’s overall physical competence (including a wide range of metabolic system adaptations). One of the key aspects of CrossFit is that the workouts are carried out fast and repeatedly with little to no rest in between sets. (7)
CrossFit training entails a variety of exercises that should help the athlete become proficient in a range of physical tasks (such as Olympic lifts, rope climbing, traditional sports, and carrying heavy loads over long distances) and prepare them for future tasks they may encounter. Various institutions may have different CrossFit training structures. (8)
Each training session typically lasts an hour and consists of a specified warm-up, strength and/or skill training, a scheduled strength or conditioning workout for 10 to 30 minutes, and a cool-down and/or mobility exercise to finish. The exercises can be done as solitary, partner, or group training and are done either for time or for the most repetitions. Another structure is to keep up a certain training speed for a set amount of time.
Is CrossFit Safer Than Bodybuilding?
The research came to the conclusion that compared to athletes participating in traditional weightlifting, CrossFit competitors are more likely to sustain injuries and seek medical attention. Injury rates are on the decline as a result of CrossFit trainers’ increased coaching involvement. The most frequently hurt body parts were the shoulder and lower back, which were regularly hurt while performing powerlifting and gymnastic activities. (9)
As a result, athletes who want to train with CrossFit should:
- Asses their present physical state and prior medical history.
- Before beginning CrossFit training (getting acclimated to techniques/movements and intensity), take part in an affiliated gym’s on-ramp program.
- Train in a gym that is affiliated with it under the guidance of certified trainers.
- According to the trainer’s instructions, gradually and safely raise the scope and intensity.
Recommended For You